Human Trafficking in Canada
In Ontario, most reported cases of human trafficking involve sexual exploitation, which may also be referred to as sex trafficking.
Child sex trafficking is child abuse. It is inhumane and illegal. Child sex trafficking is the act of luring, coercing, forcing, or manipulating a child under the age of 18 into sexual activity either through online or in-person contact with or without the apparent consent of the youth in exchange for basic needs, drugs and/or alcohol, or financial gain on the part of the perpetrator. Youth involved in child sex trafficking may be coerced or forced into trafficking themselves, trafficking others, or both.
According to Ontario’s anti-human trafficking strategy, the average age of recruitment into sex trafficking is 13 years old, and over 70% of human trafficking victims identified by police are under 25 years old.
Those at high risk of being trafficked include:
- Children and youth involved with Children’s Aid Societies
- Indigenous women and girls
- 2SLGBTQIA+ persons
- Homeless and marginalized youth
- Persons living with disabilities
- Persons facing barriers to accessing housing, supports, and basic needs
If you have concerns for a child related to trafficking, please call us at 905-895-2318 or 1-800-718-3850. If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, call 911 or your local police service.
In York Region, we actively collaborate with community partners to raise awareness, identify risks, intervene early, and provide support and care for survivors. Collaborative initiatives with our community partners include:
- Updated Sex Trafficking Protocol with York Regional Police in partnership with Dnaagdawenmag Binnoojiiyag Child and Family Services and Jewish Family and Child Service
- Model of family-based care for children and youth at risk, or when sex trafficking is suspected or confirmed
- Piloting of a Screening Tool to identify children and youth at risk of sex trafficking
Our Community Partners
- Cedar Centre
- Dnaagdawenmag Binnoojiiyag Child & Family Services
- Jewish Family and Child Service
- Simcoe Muskoka Family Connexions
- York Regional Police Special Victims Unit Human Trafficking Section
- York University, Department of Psychology, Teen Relationships Lab
- U-R Home Awareness & Support Services
- Women’s Support Network
- 360 Kids